For your book bag
‘Elements of Indigenous Style’ is a must-have for any journalist, and it’s high on our recommended reading list for the Summer Institute. The FNUniv library has three digital copies available for use – contact the library. The e-book version is also available for $9.59 on Amazon, or $19.95 for a hard copy.
This guide features:
- Twenty-two succinct style principles.
- Advice on culturally appropriate publishing practices, including how to collaborate with Indigenous Peoples, when and how to seek the advice of Elders, and how to respect Indigenous Oral Traditions and Traditional Knowledge.
- Terminology to use and to avoid.
- Advice on specific editing issues, such as biased language, capitalization, and quoting from historical sources and archives.
- Case studies of projects that illustrate best practices.
The late Gregory Younging interviewed on CBC’s Unreserved program
Indigenous Communication Arts (INCA) is a multi-media program at First Nations University of Canada. For registration information visit www.incaonline.ca. Follow us on Twitter at @INCA_FNUNIV